Cub in this city

miércoles, noviembre 01, 2006

THE BARE CROONER

Last weekend I went to one of two bathhouses that you can find in Juarez. You may ask: why, oh why do I have to go to his kind of establishments. The only thing I have to say about it is: yes, I went, and no, I do not want to get into this moral argument.

The first thing after going into the place, is find a cubicle, one with light and with a door. Don’t worry all of them have doors. Usually on weekend, the place is packed, but strange enough, this particular time was not, which is good, because when there are a lot of people there, the guys tend to be more reserved and do not talk to anybody or the contrary, since there are other fellows who they know, they do not act on their impulses because some guy they talk with might see him go into a cubicle and shut the door. And you know what happens when you shut the door. It’s something that I still don’t understand, guys go to this kind of places in order to hook up with other guys, but when they’re actually there, don’t do anything. Is not that I’m asking for a full on orgy (although it would be interesting), no, but you see the glances, you can cut the sexual tension with an axe. And guys do nothing to cut it.

After finding a respectable cubicle, I went to the showers to get ready for the steam room. In my way I saw the obligatory old, big-belly man sitting in front of the showers. There were two this time. Now that I think of it, I know why they’re always sitting there, that’s the only thing left for them, to look and reminisce of times past, of opportunities not taken. Once I showered, I went to the steam room and stayed for 15 minutes, a record for me, because I usually can stand only a limited amount of steam room time. I went back to mi cubicle and fall asleep.

When I woke up, I lay there for a brief time, and while there, a young man passed in front of my door, trying to cover himself with a towel of the results of a time well spent. I’m sure he was going to the showers. Finally I stood and got out of the cubicle. By that time I was dry again, so I decided to make a round to see if there was someone interesting or interested. There was no one so I went back to the showers, got wet and went into the last steam room and I found my spot. I tit down and was alone, but not for long.

The radio that the guy who does massages was on, and incredibly, it was playing “I will survive”. After the initial laugh, I started singing along silently to myself, but my singing was abruptly silence by someone’s more strong and attuned voice. I heard somebody open the door and I heard a interesting echo of a beautiful singing voice. This echo got closer and closer and finally, the man who was singing arrive at the same room I was. Coincidentally, it was the guy I noticed earlier sans towel. Completely naked. Of course, this is not a weird thing considering where we were, but it caught my attention, because I had seen him earlier with a towel making the rounds. He got into the room, walk inside, stood there for a while and finally he sat right across from me. He did all this while singing in a delicious velvety voice.

I cannot remember what song he was singing first, but he had a swell voice, modulated, and in pitch. I only remember it was a song of lost love and that he sang it beautifully. Since we were in a closed room, the sound felt bigger, and it was amazing. I do not know why, but he was staring at me, maybe because I was his whole audience. The next song in his set was “Acompañame”. I’ve never thought much of this song, but being serenaded this way, it make me listen carefully to it, and I have to say, It’s a beautiful piece. I looked silently at him, because I was enjoying the shared moment.

The third song I didn’t recognized it, but afterwards I asked him. It’s from Alexander Pyres and it’s called “amandote”, another love song. Something interesting happened while he was singing this. Since he, as I, was sitting in a corner, he lifted his legs and spread them across the part of the wall that was functioning as a bench. So there he was, spread eagle while he kept producing those enthralling sounds. Next on the set, was Sinatra’s “My way”, as interesting choice as the previous songs.

When he stopped singing I had to applaud, so I did. After thanking me he said:

- Money would be better. He said trying to make a joke about it
- That explains a lot… I said.
- What do you mean?
- Forget it, just making conversation.
- So, you liked it?
- Yes, I did, it was an interesting experience, so interesting I will have to put it on my blog.
- You will? Well, then, lets talk about the money again.

I laugh. After a brief moment, while he started singing again, I consider the option of getting to know this guy a bit more. When he stopped again, I stood up and sat besides him, I Introduced myself and asked for his name.

- Why do you want to know my name
- I want to know who was singing delightfully to me.
- You don’t need to know my name
- I know I don’t, but I would like to.
- I like your attitude
- Why is that?
- You don’t get scared, you don’t get surprised. You keep your cool.
- Is there any reason to loose my cool?

He laughed, stood and walked away and left me there alone. Later on, when I was back at my cubicle I heard him singing “acompañame” again while getting ready to leave the establishment. At the end, I did not get his name, but I sure was a witness of his nude recital.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anónimo said...

Only someone as sophisticated as you deserves such experiences... some other person would have just ignored him or thought of him as crazy

1:19 p.m., enero 04, 2007  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home